Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Monday, November 22, 2010

Shifting Values.

This week I spent some time enjoying a Victorian Country Road Trip. The further west I drove the less radio reception I received - 89.9 Light FM is my station.

I cranked up the iPhone and hit the "shuffle" button to get a mix of band, songsters, contemporary worship and secular music ( even some Country and Western ).

A new song to my library was from the Melbourne Staff Songsters - The Solid Rock. An updated version of an old hymn.

Verse 2 reads,
When darkness seems to veil his face,
I rest on his unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ, the solid rock, I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.


This then sent my mind to a favourite tune that I used to use often as a benediction to a service.

Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,
When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?
When the storm tides lift and the cables strain,
Will your anchor drift or firm remain?

We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll;
Fastened to the rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Saviour's love.


I suppose over the past 12 months, there have been many circumstances that have changed for me and my family. Looking back I can see that whilst there are many things that pull us from pillar to post, and just when you think you heading in the right direction, circumstances change around us that leave us confused and unsure, God has always been there.

I must say too, that God through His people, have been an enourmous source of strength and support to us as a family and for this we are very, very grateful and thankful.

My thoughts turned to this verse found in Song 324;

In a world of shifting values,
There are standard that remain.
I believe that holy living
By God's grace we may attain.
All would hear the Holy Spirit
If they listen to his voice,
Every Christian can be Christlike
And in liberty rejoice.


Thank you Lord for being my source of strength and someone told hold on to in times of trouble and stress.
Thank you for never changing when the world moves so quickly around me.
Help me to strive for holy living and to be Christlike in my every thought, word and deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment