Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Small Corners

Matthew 5:14-16 (NIV).
“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.


Today, as I was driving to my first call, I was reminded of the words of a song we used to sing in Sunday School (many, many moons ago...).  I was thinking about what I was about to do and how others are working in other parts of the world (Daryl) - as well as in our own back yard - Melbourne.

** Check out - http://darylbc.blogspot.com/ **

As I was humming the tune, I was reminded that there is "darkness" in this world.  We can define "darkness" in may varied ways - from personal circumstances, events of the day, even to varied situations in locations across the world.  I thought of many people who deal with "darkness" in other peoples lives - in their everyday occupation - and prayed for an extra bit of fuel to keep God's light shining in and through them.

I was thinking the Salvation Army's relief efforts in Haiti, and how "darkness" falls in many circumstances, but, through a shinning light in the "darkness" (that's you Daryl!) - Jesus can be seen.

Others, too, across the globe are dealing with "darkness" in their every day life, but the words "you in your small corner and I in mine" especially hit home today.

I thought of my "small corner" - and wondered just how "small" it actually is.  Is it so small that no one else can see it?  It was a huge challenge for me this morning as I hadn't even met anyone as yet, but God challenged me to spread His light a little wider than what I would be comfortable with.

I think if we are to make a difference in someones life, we need to stretch our little corner a little wider and maybe reach out to someone today - before it's too late.

SASB 841.
Jesus bids us shine with a clear, pure light,
Like a little candle burning in the night;
In the world of darkness, so we must shine,
You in your small corner and I in mine.

Jesus bids us shine first of all for him;
Well he sees and knows it if our light is dim.
He looks down from Heaven to see us shine;
You in your small corner and I in mine

Jesus bids us shine, then, for all around
Many kinds of darkness in this world abound;
Sin and want and sorrow; so we must shine,
You in your small corner and I in mine.


My Prayer:
Lord, grant me all I need to enable my "small corner" to develop into something bigger for you.  Help me in my daily occupation to shine for you.  Lord give me the opportunities to talk to people about your love and goodness and assist me in bringing people from "darkness" into light.

I want to take Your Word and shine it all around
But first help me just to live it, Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown
For my reward is giving glory to You.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment