Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Monday, August 30, 2010

Take The World

Mark 8:36-37 (NIV).
What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

! John 2:15-17 (NIV).
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For everything in the world–the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does–comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

I am so grateful that I have been brought up knowing Jesus is my Saviour.

I am constantly blessed being part of this Christian organisation - The Salvation Army.  I have to admit that music is a major part of this "attraction", but the Army has been "instrumental" (pardon the pun) in my growth as a person and a Christian.

I cannot get past this fact at the moment.  I know the music I listen to has been sent from God - to inspire, challenge, poke and prod - and most of all, after studying the words of the songs and the scriptures that they are based on - they have given me Jesus.

I was privileged recently to conduct the Preston Salvation Army Band in a beautiful arrangement of "Give Me Jesus" - Arranged for Horn (solo) by Harold Burgmayer.  The music is simple enough with an awesome tune and superbly played by our CSM - Ian Russel. 

It was as recent as last Saturday night, as I listened to the Melbourne Staff Songsters (Salvation Army Choir) sing this same arrangement - for Male Voices - that the words suddenly became "real" to me.

You can see all around us that the "attraction" of the world has people under its spell.  People want it all - The cars, the houses, the executive wages, the high life.  But are they happy with their lot in life?

If I was to confess right here and now, It would be that I too have enjoyed position, salary, travel - but I have also lost it.  We have struggled this year as our world was thrown into a spin, but you know what? Jesus never left us.  He has been a constant friend in our struggles, a light at the end of our tunnel, and even if we never get back to where we once were, I know that in the morning when I wake and when it seems I am all alone - Jesus is always with me (us).

In the morning when I wake
In the morning when I wake
In the morning when I wake
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You may have all this world
But give me Jesus

And when I am alone
And when I am alone
And when I am alone
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You may have all this world
But give me Jesus

And when I go to die
And when I go to die
And when I go to die
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You may have all this world
You may have all this world
You may have all this world
But give me Jesus


Ephesians 3:16-19 (NIV)
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge–that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment