Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Words - Traditional Tune

Luke 22:39-43 (NIV).
Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him.  On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.”  He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed,  "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”  An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.  And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.



From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
"Oh Shenandoah" (also called simply "Shenandoah", or "Across the Wide Missouri") is a traditional American folk song of uncertain origin, dating at least to the early 19th century.


One of my favourite tunes is Shenandoah in which the Salvation Army Song 614, written by John Oxenham, has been adapted for Brass and Vocal.

I have used the words before whilst Blogging, but I was inspired (?) to write some other words to this tune that sum up where I am today.  The inspiration came as one Band Practise night, Fiona gave devotions and said she had written some words of her own (but I can't remember what they where or to what tune they went - sorry).

I thought of my favourite tune and tried to write my feelings in words to fit to this tune.  I was reminded of the verse in Luke where Jesus knew what was to happen to him, but still he prayed "not my will but yours be done".
 
We read of the anguish he felt and yet he prayed more earnestly.
 
I am thankful that I have not had to make a choice this great.  Could we pray the same thing if put in this situation?
 
I struggle sometimes to pray in much less life changing circumstances, and sometimes I forget to even consider Gods plan and purpose when things seem to great for me to comprehend.  How easy is it to put our will before God and the needs of others?
 
My thoughts behind the words:
 
Firstly, I need to pray that Gods will is my will.  His glory is what I seek - not my own glory.  Others need to be able to see Jesus in me.
 
Secondly, others need Christ - What am I doing about this ?  Anything ?  Nothing ? 
Again, glorifying God in the process is the utmost importance and not taking the "praise" when we do "good deeds".  I am happy when people do good for others, and I believe there needs to be more of it - but lets give God the glory!
 
I know words are important to build us up and equip us for the task, and they can be encouraging to those around us who are struggling in their journey - but actions are important too (more important ??). 
Don't just talk about it, do something !
 
Thirdly, the acknowledgement that we need God in our lives daily, renewing and refreshing - giving His power for the tasks which he assigns.
 
And finally, the commitment - My life, my ALL I give.
 
Lord hear my prayer - your will to know,
In my life your glory show.
So other souls around may see
Jesus - living in me.
Jesus lives in me.

Lord hear my prayer - your love to share,
To a world in great despair.
O may my words and actions to,
Give glory all to you.
Glory all to you.

O Lord I need you more each day,
Send your power to me I pray.
Renew my will each day I live.
My life, my all I give
My all I give.

My life, my all I give.

No comments:

Post a Comment