Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

When The G. P. S. Goes Down.

Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)
Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

John 14:6 (NIV).
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.


As part of my new role, I am required to travel to western suburbs and country Victoria.  Today was a day where my Global Positioning System (GPS) didn't know where to go.  The Melways in the car is dated 2007 and the GPS maps are 2 years old - this, with the ever changing landscape of the country, got me lost today.

I was flying blind.  I didn't have a clue as each new subdivision looked the same as the last and I was feeling a little unsettled as I was in unknown territory.

During my visitation today, I was reminded that God has everything mapped out for me (us).  It doesn't matter how young or old we are, or if we think we're "out of date" like my maps, Gods plan for our lives is plain.

I again looked up Micah 6:8 (The Message).

But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women.  It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbour, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don’t take yourself too seriously — take God seriously.

I have previously Blogged on this verse and how many times (this year) it has been given to me to teach me the direction I should go.  I think my lack of understanding (and willingness to listen and take action) has caused this verse to be "sent" to me on many occasions (so far) in 2010.

On Sunday morning, in the middle of our 125th Anniversary Church Service, I was reminded of the song in our songbook about following Jesus and how the future with Him is the right path to tread.  The tune was right in front of me and the arrangement of this tune filled my head.

We were reminded of how important the past was, and how exciting the present is, but the challenge for me was - "how will I use the future to be a better person - in my family, at work, in church and the community where Jesus is needed so badly".

SASB 490
I heard a voice so gently calling: Take up thy cross and follow me.
A tempest on my heart was falling, A living cross this was to be;
I struggled sore, I struggled vainly, No other light my eyes could see.

I'll follow thee, of life the giver, I'll follow thee, suffering redeemer,
I'll follow thee, deny thee never, By thy grace I'll follow thee.

I heard his voice unto me saying: Take up thy cross and follow me.
My heart is thine, now thee obeying, Speak all thy will, dear Lord, to me.
Make weakness strength, thy power now give me, And from this hour I'll follow thee.
Agnes Heathcote.

This is certainly not an easy song to sing, as it takes commitment to sing "and from this hour, I'll follow thee", not to mention "I'll follow thee, deny thee never". 

Do we sing it and mean it?  Or is it just a song that someone wrote - that meant something to someone  - at some point in the past?

As my GPS fell over today, I thank God for the fact that Gods Positioning System (GPS) is available - always.  It takes some commitment to follow.  Are we in a position to say "yes" and take a stand and trust Gods leading in our lives?  Or are we happy to go with the flow?

Jeremiah 29:11-13 (NIV).
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment