Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How Deep ?

Ephesians 3:16-19 (NIV).
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge–that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Our church (The Salvation Army - Preston) is fast approaching its 125th Anniversary.

As part of the Sunday afternoon celebrations, the band is playing some pieces that spans over 70+ years of music.  One of the more recent arrangements that we will be playing uses the words of "How Deep The Fathers Love For Us" - again, this music is stuck firmly in my brain (along with so many tunes, I find it difficult to sleep at night)

I have always struggled with the line "It was my sin that held him there".  I know all this happened before I was even thought of, but I cannot help but stumble over this line - every time we sing it.  I know I'm not perfect, and I know even today, I still do things that I know go against where Jesus is trying to lead me.

I just wonder how many times must Jesus hang on the cross for me ?  How many times must I put those nails into his hands and feet ?

I probably should concentrate more on the part where it says, "His dying breath has brought me life".  I know this to be true in my life and I am eternally grateful for this sacrificial death, I am just sorry that my failings continually take up so much of His time.

The arrangement we are playing concludes - triumphantly with verse 3.

The first line - "I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom" - is something that I firmly believe in.  Over many years now I have been very thankful that God has given me some (small) gifts and talents.  I have always handed them over to God to use as He sees fit - there is no boasting in my abilities or talents - God gave them to me / us (no matter how big or small) - It has always been my prayer for God to be glorified in my life - whether a leader, participant in a musical section or member of a church congregation.

As for power and wisdom - I don't believe I have ever had too much of them to worry about boasting !


How deep the Father’s love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
(Stuart Townend)

No comments:

Post a Comment