Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Friday, November 27, 2009

To Serve Suffering Humanity

What a great week !

I spent the week assisting the Salvation Army Bush Fire Relief Center in Whittlesea. During this time I meet some great people and shared in their interesting stories of life after February 7, 2009.

I have no way of comprehending the struggles some people have faced since this time and how people still are struggling to come to terms with the rebuilding process.

Whilst I have been struggling with my own circumstances over the past several weeks (months), I have enjoyed putting others first for a change and seeing hope in peoples eyes as the Salvation Army's efforts in the area are continuing over the Christmas/New Year period.

I had first hand experience today speaking with people about their personal circumstances and how the assistance given by the Army has been utilised to help get people back on their feet. I will not forget the tears of heart ache mixed with tears of joy as people came (sometimes reluctantly) to ask for help.

A quote from my devotions a couple of weeks ago read:
"God brings you to places, among people, and into certain conditions to accomplish a definite purpose through the intercession of the spirit in you"

This week has seen me in a different place and among people outside my "normal" circle - I hope I assisted in God's plan in some way, shape or form.

"Make your life a clear testimony. Be as the brook wherein you may see every stone at the bottom - not as a muddy creek of which you only see the surface - but clear and transparent so that your heart's love to God and man may be visible to all"

O Lord, whose human hands were quick
To feed the hungry, heal the sick,
Who love by loving deed expressed,
Help me to comfort the distressed.

What is divine about my creed
If I am blind to human need?
For you have said they serve you best
Who serve the helpless and oppressed.

Lord may your love translucent shine
Through every loving deed of mine,
That men may see the works I do
And give the glory all to you.

Malcom Bale
SASB 518

No comments:

Post a Comment