Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Here Am I, My Lord, Send Me.

Isaiah 6:8 (The Message).
And then I heard the voice of the Master: “Whom shall I send?  Who will go for us?”
I spoke up, “I’ll go. Send me!”


Today, I read this article from a Blog I'm following:

On this date, Daniel March, a Congregational pastor, was scheduled to preach at a meeting of the Christian Association of Philadelphia. He had a great interest in the work of world missions, and his text that day was Isa. 6:8, “I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: ‘Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?’ Then I said, ‘Here am I! Send me.’”


When Rev. March couldn’t find a hymn to suit the theme of his message, he wrote one. Hark, the Voice of Jesus Calling not only issues a summons to evangelize the lost in other lands. It emphasizes that there is something each of us can do, wherever we are.

Hark! the voice of Jesus crying,
"Who will go and work today?
Fields are white, and harvests waiting;
Who will bear the sheaves away?"
Loud and long the Master calleth,
Rich reward he offers free;
Who will answer, gladly saying,
"Here am I; send me, send me."

If you cannot cross the ocean,
And the heathen lands explore,
You can find the heathen nearer,
You can help them at your door.
If you cannot give your thousands,
You can give the widow's mite;
And the least you give for Jesus
Will be precious in his sight.

If you cannot be a watchman,
Standing high on Zion's wall,
Pointing out the path to heaven,
Off'ring life and peace to all,
With your prayers and with your bounties
You can do what God demands;
You can be like faithful Aaron,
Holding up the prophet's hands.

Let none hear you idly saying,
"There is nothing I can do,"
While the sons of men are dying,
And the Master calls for you:
Take the task he gives you gladly,
Let his work your pleasure be;
Answer quickly when he calleth,
"Here am I; send me, send me."


I can't believe it !  A song I don't know - and I don't even know the tune these words are sung to !


Today, I had the privilege of taking people (who have a keen interest in the Salvation Army's work) to some of our Salvation Army Centres in Melbourne.

I am still amazed (although I probably shouldn't be by now) about peoples passion for the lost, the last, and the least in our society.

I need to say thank you to God for allowing me to be a part of this "work" in this place.  People I have met today (both people who are willing to give (say) Bequests - and those who give of their time, talents, gifts & passion) have inspired me again.

But, still, there is work to be done !

A song that speaks on this same subject, came to my mind as soon as I read this Blog.

Here am I my Lord, send me, send me.
I am wanting to be what you want me to be.
Use me when and where ever, and how you best see.
Here am I my Lord, send me.

It's one that we used to sing quite regularly, but comes with great responsibility for those who sing it - Do we really mean what we say (sing) ?

I think there is some apprehension among (us) Christians when it comes to saying "here am I my Lord, send me".  I think we are afraid of what this commitment may mean.  We sit back and say, "you can have most of my life and I will be committed to that part, but giving up my all to follow, is not where I'm at at present".

Some may even be thinking, I give my "all" on Sunday's, that's enough - my week is busy enough thanks!

Maybe this statement could mean "officership" for some - and that in itself could be very, very daunting - and life changing!

I really admire those who have heard "the call" and are doing something about it!  God bless you and your ministry - wherever you are and wherever it takes you.  It must be frustrating at times, but to be in a position that assists people in a journey to find Jesus as their friend and Savior must far outweigh those "bad" times.

My prayer:
Lord, help me to mean what I say, when I sing these words.

I pray, Lord, for those of us that are "hard of hearing", that we may have -
Ears to hear your calling in our lives and,
Discerment as to what it is you want us to do.

In our work for you I pray that you will -
Equip us with your power,
Guide us with your grace and,
Empower us with your Holy Spirit.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Paul, we're singing Here am I, my Lord on Sunday week at the retirement of Tony Foster as CSM and the commissioning of Tony Brown as our new CSM. A song that definitely speaks to the committment of these two men to share the gospel within their local congregations. God needs good lay people too.

    ReplyDelete