Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Sunday, July 11, 2010

J O Y, J O Y

Who remembers the Sunday School Chorus?

J O Y, J O Y, surely this must be;
Jesus first, Yourself last, and Others in between.

I have continued to read through the book of James (as I have found some great lessons that continually help me on my journey) and found this verse:

James 1:27 (The Message).
Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.

At The Salvation Army in Preston, we have be privileged to be a part of the STAMP program run by the Social Program department.  It has highlighted (to me anyway) that we, as Christian Salvationists, should be looking more outside our little world, and look at the plight of others as they struggle in the things of life that we take for granted.

War is raging in this city, lives are breaking hear their cry.
The addicted, poor and broken, lonely, widowed, orphaned child.
Who will live untainted by this world?
Who will die for the gospel of our King?
Who will hear the weeping of our Lord?

He calls;
Who will be my hands my feet, to the lost, the last, the least?
Who will stand?
Who will go?
Who will burn and show my light? Who will break the chains and fight?
Who will stand?
Who will go?
Let justice roll.

There's a river that is flowing, full of justice, mercy and grace.
From the Father to the nations, every colour, every race.
Will you live untainted by this world?
Will you die for the gospel of our King?
Will you hear the weeping of our Lord?

He calls;
Will you be my hands my feet, to the lost, the last, the least?
Will you stand?
Will you go?
Will you burn and show my light? Will you break the chains and fight?
Will you stand?
Will you go?
Let justice roll.
(Nathan Rowe)

Another reading that has continually been "drummed home" in my devotions this year is;

Micah 6:8 (The Message).
But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women.
It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbour, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don’t take yourself too seriously— take God seriously.

I will be moving from my current position with the Bush Fire Recovery Centre at Whittlesea in a couple of weeks, and heading into a new role with the Public Relations Department in The Salvation Army.  Although this is primarily a fund raising role, I pray that through my words, actions and life "in general", others will reap the benefits of the my work/service - through the monetary contributions donated to The Salvation Army.

Whilst this is not directly working "hands on" with my neighbour, and not a Social Program role as such, the work of The Salvation Army requires funds to continue it's good work throughout the world - I pray that my service for God in this small way, contributes to people being safe, fed, housed, employed, empowered and ultimately - saved!

SASB 488
How can I better serve thee Lord,
Thou who hast done so much for me?
Faltering and weak my labour has been;
O that my life may tell for thee!

Here at the cross in this sacred hour,
Here at the source of reviving power,
Helpless indeed, I come with my need;
Lord, for thy service, fit me I plead.

Dull are my ears to hear thy voice,
Slow are my hands to work for thee,
Loath are my feet to conquer the steeps
That lead me to my Calvary.

Strength for my weakness, Lord, impart;
Sight for my blindness give to me;
Faith for my doubtings, Lord, I would crave,
That I may serve the worthily.
Bramwell Coles (1887-1960)

No comments:

Post a Comment