Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Powerful and Effective.

James 5:16b (The Message).
The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.

James 5:16b (NIV).
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

I have this verse highlighted in my "old" Bible and have often wondered what it would be like to be living "right" with God so that my prayers would be powerful.

Does trying to be good count?

Knowing what's right and not doing it is often the norm, sometimes just a little "off" doing what's right.

We (Salvo's) have a whole section in our Song Book dedicated to prayer and, as I have wondered if I was living my life "right", and were the words I pray meaningful, I remembered the words of Song 588.

I often say my prayers;
But do I ever pray?
And do he wishes of my heart
Go with the words I say?

I may as well kneel down
And worship gods of stone,
As offer to the living God
A prayer of words alone.

For words without the heart
The Lord will never hear;
Nor will he those lips attend
Whose prayers are not sincere.

Lord, show me what I need,
And teach me how to pray;
Nor let me ask thee for thy grace,
Not feeling what I say.
(John Burton. jun 1803-77)

Another favourite Chorus is:

I want to live right,
That God may use me,
At any time, at anywhere;
I want to live right,
That God may use me,
At any time, at anywhere.
SACB71

I think this week is about adding these two songs to my daily prayer time.

As I head into a new adventure next week, the words - "I want to live right that God may use me", has more meaning for me.  To be able to live "right", will ensure my prayers will be powerful and effective, not just words with no meaning from someone who is not in the right place with God.

Help me Lord to be a person committed to living by your commands and to be a person with powerful and effective prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your words again Paul. All the best for the new job. (Hope you are feeling better too!)

    ReplyDelete