Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Friday, July 2, 2010

Broken Bread

The Preston Salvation Army Band (Preston Brass) had the privilege to spend a weekend in Colac (Western Victoria).  We have a great repertoire and we (Salvation Army Bands world wide) are blessed with great composers and awesome music to be used to bless others.

I, too, am continually blessed by the music within the Salvation Army and as we play, and sometimes when I lead the group, I often have tears in my eyes when reflecting on the words as we play the music to our local congregation.

A great piece of music that we played recently was an arrangement by Kenneth Downie of the Hymn Tune "Spohr".  Whilst the music is challenging to play - again the message to me was clear.

I also read the following quote in my devotions that uses the same theme of the song:

We are here to submit to His will so that He may work though us what He wants. Once we realize this, He will make us broken bread and poured-out wine with which to feed and nourish others.

I remember too, this was a favourite melody of our Bandmaster in Launceston when I was growing up learning what it meant to be part of a musical section of The Salvation Army.  I don't think I got it back then, but as my journey continues, I pray that "other souls, refreshed and fed, may share his life through mine"

SASB 512

My life must be Christ broken bread
My love his out poured wine,
A cup o'erfilled, a table spread
Beneath his name and sign,
That other souls refreshed and fed,
May share his life through mine

My all is in the Masters hands
For him to bless and break
Beyond the brook his wine press stands
An thence my way I take
Resolved the whole of love's demands
To give, for his dear sake.

Lord, let me share that grace of thine
Wherewith thou didst sustain
The burden of the fruitful vine,
The gift of buried grain.
Who dies with thee, O Word divine,
Shall rise and live again.
Albert Osborn (1886-1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment