Listen To My Podcast


" My best for the Highest "

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The "Others".

Following on from my previous Blogs, and continuing reading the book of James, I found familiar verses which I have heard before (haven't we all) but - again - has put a new spin on things for me.

James 2 - Selected verses (The Message)
14 Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it?15 For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved16 and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you?17 Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?

20 Use your heads! Do you suppose for a minute that you can cut faith and works in two and not end up with a corpse on your hands?

21 Wasn’t our ancestor Abraham “made right with God by works” when he placed his son Isaac on the sacrificial altar?22 Isn’t it obvious that faith and works are yoked partners, that faith expresses itself in works? That the works are “works of faith”?23 The full meaning of “believe” in the Scripture sentence, “Abraham believed God and was set right with God,” includes his action. It’s that mesh of believing and acting that got Abraham named “God’s friend.”24 Is it not evident that a person is made right with God not by a barren faith but by faith fruitful in works?

26 The very moment you separate body and spirit, you end up with a corpse. Separate faith and works and you get the same thing: a corpse.

Thinking on what we do to "assist" my neighbour, I confess is very little I'm afraid.
Sure I "act" good;  I talk "good";  My deeds are "good";  I look "good" (?)

I wonder what would happen if I was put into a situation where by someone was in desperate need of my help - It's not good enough to say - "Hold on there friend, God is with us" but do nothing to assist in his/her immediate need.

I am thankful that I am a part of a greater organisation that is pretty good at helping others - Our Social Centres and Churches assist 100's of people each day.

I can't wait to get my hands "dirty" for this organisation and for God!

A favorite song in The Salvation Army's Song Book talks about others needs, my obligations, service - doing something (deeds) - and where the glory belongs.

SASB 518
O Lord, whose human hands were quick
To feed the hungry, heal the sick,
Who love by loving deed expressed,
Help me to comfort the distressed.

What is divine about my creed
If I am blind to human need?
For you have said they serve you best
Who serve the helpless and oppressed.

Lord may your love translucent shine
Through every loving deed of mine,
That men may see the works I do
And give the glory all to you.
(Malcolm Bale)

No comments:

Post a Comment